My First 100km Ride

 


After my first long ride till my Mom's house and back, I have been cycling regularly. I got a bit more  ambitious and now I was aiming for a century ride. 

Dileep suggested it's better that I ride in and around first to build up the stamina and get used to cycling. So I started riding daily around 5km each day and slowly increasing the distance and duration, once I got into the flow.  One beautiful thing happened. On 1st September, as I was riding I just went with the flow and rode around 11kms that  day.... That night I came across the BIKE30 challenge. We had to ride 10km each day for 30 days in September month. It was like it was meant to be, since unknowingly I had done more than 10km that day. I enrolled for that challenge and enjoyed each bit of the challenge.  With this regular ride, I got the confidence that I could try to do a 100. 

I asked Dileep if we could go for a 100km ride in October to commemorate our wedding anniversary and my birthday!! Dileep said sure!! Yey!! 

We decided to go on the 11th. But it was raining the night before and we hoped that the rains would stop by morning. I woke up, got ready, the drizzle had not stopped yet. We didn't want to take chances and get wet and fall sick.  So that day we couldn't go. I didn't feel bad because I knew it would all happen in a good time. I am a firm believer. If you believe, if you have faith, all good things are bound to happen.  

Dileep said let's go on the 14th, which happens to be our wedding anniversary day.  And as I said, when you want something from your heart and soul, all things get favorable for you. Rains had stopped the previous day itself even though it was cloudy, it was not raining. 

We had decided to ride till Hesaraghatta, then to Mom's house in Vidyaranyapura, in time for lunch and then back home. I always wanted to go to Hesaraghatta, since Dileep has gone many times on his cycling trips and had described about the greenery and lovely rides. So Hesaraghatta it was!! 

 We got ready, I packed some chapati rolls for our breakfast and water, ofcourse!! At 6: 45 am we started our ride. I was in the "NOW"!! Meaning, I was simply savouring the moment, the present. We were riding, in between, took breaks to hydrate ourselves.  Dileep had chalked out the route, as he always does for his rides, so I knew he would make sure that I completed my target. So I didn't bother about that. 😃 It was a really wonderful ride. After we took a turn from Yehlanka towards Hesaraghatta road, we were off the city limits and were riding towards the village side. What wonderful roads!! Green vegetation on both sides, beautiful and clean roads.. Perfectly cloudy weather with pleasant breeze flowing made the experience even more delightful.  Just perfect! We saw a lot of riders riding along or returning back from their rides. Around 9:33 am or so we reached Hesaraghatta Lake...  We sat down on one of the benches overlooking the lake for 15 mins. We had our breakfast and relaxed for a few more minutes. 

Pic at Hesaraghatta Lake


After that we started for the loop ride around Hesaraghatta. It was the most amazing part of the ride. Long road, greenery all around... The beautiful greens just soothed the eyes and the soul. As far as one could see, the black long road fringed with lush trees, grasses and bushes.  Heaven.  It was a lovely stretch of about 13-14 kms. No traffic, just one odd car, scooter or cyclist passing by .... So I took the opportunity to get a photo clicked on that fantastic road. And before I could let all the beauty sink in, the loop got over. But then one can never have enough of the mesmerizing nature. Isn't it? 

Midway somewhere between the loop ride

Hesaraghatta 

After a quick refill of water from a bakery, we hit the road towards Vidyaranyapura. As we headed back towards the city limits, I felt the hint of harsh reality. The dusty deteriorated roads, traffic, pollution, incessant honking...  Sigh!!  I quickly diverted my mind back to enjoying my cycling..  I was glad I could cycle with perfect ease. I was comfortable and had no pains or aches. That again had me thinking, how important it is in life to have good health. If you want to achieve something in life, good health and a good frame of mind and attitude is really essential. I thanked God and certain experiences from our elders that taught us to be health conscious from a young age and to take good care of our health.  

Soon we reached Mom's house around 12:15 pm. She was eagerly waiting for our arrival. We freshened up and had a sumptuous meal of Vangi Bhath, Curd Rice and papad followed by yummy milk pedas.  I had not realized that we had covered around 82 kms until Dileep mentioned it to Mom while talking to her. I felt great. I was so engrossed in cycling and enjoying each and every moment that I had not realized that I had covered that many kilometres already!! Yey!! Another 18 and we would be done. Mummy took some photos of us. Then we took leave of Mummy as dark clouds had started to gather and we were anxious to finish our ride before rains could start. We started for home en-route meeting Sis in Sheshadripuram. My Sis, Bil and niece greeted us and gave us Dairy Milk Silk, we just caught up with them for a couple of minutes and started the last leg of our ride.  We reached home at 3:45 pm, finishing our ride exactly at 100.2 kms. Mission Accomplished. Goal achieved! Such an exhilarating feeling! One of the most wonderful anniversary celebrations ever. I am happy that I could finish this ride in my single speed BTwin My bike! 




Our kid and parents-in-law were happy that we had a good ride together. After freshening up and a hot cup of chai, we settled down for a short nap. I was not tired at all but I just needed to lay down and let the reality sink in that I  had achieved my dream. I am always grateful to Dileep for making it come true. 

As we grow older and gain some perspective, we start feeling happiness and satisfaction in " gaining experiences" rather than materialistic things. Cards, flowers, dinners don't matter at all.. What matters is quality time and experiences with loved ones... This is one such experience which I can never forget in life!! ( I won't, I have a pretty good memory. People who know me can vouch for that. I am bragging, but it's true.) 

Had a lovely evening with a yummy dinner cooked by my mother-in-law consisting of puri and sagu followed by cashew burfi bought by my father-in-law. Bliss!!  Perfect way to wrap the day up. 

I returned the calls and messages of relatives and friends who had called to wish us while we were cycling and they told me that it was raining heavily in their areas. I am absolutely grateful to God that wherever we went, it did not rain. The weather was perfect. One has to believe and trust to get what one wants in life. I absolutely believed that God in many ways is going to help me and He did!! !!

The icing on the cake was,  in the month of August Dileep and me, did a 100km walk/run challenge from Sunfeast, and got medals and certificates for that. And I got a certificate for the completion of  my BIKE30 challenge!! Happy happy...
 
This has been my best and favorite quote always since the time I came across it, and it's so true, 
"When you desire something from your heart and soul, the entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it!"- Paulo Coelho

Utterly grateful for everything!!

Comments

  1. Shalu ,going through your narration, I felt as if I am watching a documentary film. Very well narrated. Congratulations dear. God bless you with good health and happiness always. Wishing you many more such rides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. You dream, you work towards your dream and you see to it that your dream is accomplished. Very proud and happy for you Shalu. Great going. Very beautiful narration of your beautiful experience. Enjoyed and experienced your joy through your expressions. Wishing you good luck for further such achievements in life. Stay blessed always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hindi version of Paulo kaka's saying-
    केहते हैं - अगर किसी चीज को दिल से चाहो तो पुरी कायनात उसे तुमसे मिलाने की कोशिश में लग जाती है ।।
    Another one - Target be like-
    इतनी शिद्दत (shiddat) se 100km target ने तुम्हे पाने की कोशिश की है कि हर ज़र्रे ने 100 km को तुमसे मिलाने की साज़िश की है ।।

    Congratulations and best wishes for many more targets to achieve !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shat pratishat satya vachan Abhishek... Hindi main blog likthti to yahi vakya hote mere!! 🙂
      Dhanyawad aapke protsaahan k liye!! 🙂

      Delete
  4. Very Nice and Kudos to the Cycling Couple.

    This is so true - "As we grow older and gain some perspective, we start feeling happiness and satisfaction in " gaining experiences" rather than materialistic things. Cards, flowers, dinners don't matter at all.. What matters is quality time and experiences with loved ones"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written.. can visualise what you saw and feel your emotions .. your thoughts and words are so true.. stay blessed and stay healthy .. indeed a great achievement ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome re Shalu dear... Always proud of you... Keep following your dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Shalu !! Awesome re! Proud of you both! And really nice way of celebrating anniversary togetherr!! Super cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow very nice ride.you took us all with you to hesarghatta lake.we too enjoyed the beauty of nature.I very much appreciat your will power.wish you all good health and happiness

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautifully written Veini. Can connect to every sentence framed. And completely agree with Paulo Coelho’s wordings. Follow the omens and the universe works with you to achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kuddos to your determination! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well written Shalini.. kudos to ur passion to stay fit..The narration and diction is so good that I could picturize the weather that accompanied you and greenery that welcomed you. Stay happy always dear.. and yeah , wish you both many more years of togetherness!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Long Cycle Ride

Aging Gracefully